Sunday, January 9, 2011

I hope everyone had a wonderful new year! I just want to thank Chris for starting this blog, I have loved reading everyone's posts.

I have always approached my paintings as a visual puzzle, an exploration for elements to fit together and create a personal and partly universal visual aesthetic appeal (I have heard other artists call this “a rightness”). I can find this same appeal in photographs, magazines and in life, but painting allows me to create it instead of just finding it, which I love. However, this means that my paintings have less of a direct message to convey to the audience (one that I can form into words); the searching becomes the message. At certain points in the semester, this was a struggle for me. I felt as though it wasn’t enough, that I needed something more concrete to drive my paintings. However, as I tried to latch on to a message to convey, everything I painted began to hold symbolic value rather than exist to create an emotional response, which I personally disliked. Luckily, over this break, I have managed to find a happy medium from which to approach my paintings. One day, my mom came into my room and hung one of my dresses on my curtain rod above my window and the light shining through it with the patterns of the blinds behind it was quite fascinating to me. I have always liked how you can take objects out of their original context and all of a sudden you notice their geometry, their texture, or they create something entirely new (when I saw that dress I no longer viewed it as a dress but rather as light, color, shape and texture). So, this coming semester I am planning on setting up still lives/mini installations in my studio to try and create these effects and give myself content from which to paint from. I also want to explore more variety in paint application. Working on panel for the first time last semester was really good for me because it forced me to apply paint differently. I am also curious about different ways to layer paint. I am drawn to the illusions created when a layer of transparent paint is overlaid another color. Anyone know any tricks on how to do this? Do you stick to oil, but wait for the paint to dry and then go over it with paint thinned with turps? Or, do you mix acrylic and oil? I would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions.

3 comments:

  1. Marine-
    The medium that comes immediately to mind with what you're talking about is watercolor, which lends itself to that process most naturally due to its transparency. That might be a good place to start with some studies and small drawings.
    Otherwise, acrylic is very good for working in that way, since it can be thinned with water. Beyond that there are also mediums that can be used to thin the paint without decreasing the vibrancy of the colors (if you'd like to borrow some of these let me know).
    As you're well aware, oil's long dry time can make it hard to work with layering, and turps often lose the vibrancy of your colors. Yet I know there are oil mediums out there that drastically increase drying time; so that could be another option to look into.
    In terms of mixed medium with oil and acrylic, it's generally bad to put acrylic over oil because the oil will crack the acrylic laid over it eventually. However, the inverse of oil over acrylic is possible, so you may be able to play with doing transparent layers of turpentine thinned oil over top of acrylic under painting.
    Glad to hear you have some new ideas ready for this semester, I'm excited to see what comes out of them!
    -Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like to glaze in oil by mixing just a hint of paint up with a mountain of linseed oil or walnut oil. You would have to sort of find the right combination for yourself. Then apply a layer with some sort of sable brush or soft fan brush or something and then, take another huge soft clean brush and just push it back again over the painting until all of the brush marks are gone. Wait a day until it dries and repeat the process for added layers of glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Marine!
    Sorry this response is so late! But, it's great that you posted something. First, to your technical question: the best quick-dry medium for oils is Galkyd, which is made by Gamblin. Galkyd original is pretty gummy, but it dries in 24 hours max, and it levels out brush strokes, so you get a very enamel-like surface. But it's great for glazing or if you want to work in quick layers in oils. Gamblin also makes Galkyd Lite, which is a little less viscous, which means it's a bit thinner but also dries slightly more slowly than Galkyd original.
    Anyway, as for your works, I would love to SEE some if possible! After all, you want them to be visual experiences, non? :) But firrils, from what you say, I don't think you are selling yourself short to search for these kinds of physical/emotional reactions to painting. After all, it was the immediate feeling created by standing in front of a Jackson Pollock that made me want to be a painter. The one thing I would push back on is the idea of a "rightness". This is me with Devil's Advocate hat on, but when you mention "artists" who talk about this rightness, who are you thinking of? I ask because we have to question the idea of "rightness" or "universal visual appeal" when those terms are thrown out amongst a homogeneous group. (I'm not saying that was the kind of group you were alluding to, but that's why I'm asking.) After all, if you are hoping to strike a broad chord, I think it is worthwhile thinking through what makes something "naturally right" for you, and then thinking what might be "right" for someone else. In general, Modernism was a search for a rightness--there was an idea that there was one definition for what was "the right way" to paint, whereas (in gross generalization) post-modernism believes less in any one rightness, and that context matters more.
    In any case, I have faith you will make visually engaging paintings! I just can't help throwing out some annoying things to think about and get your head in a knot.
    OK, ca y est pour le moment. Bon courage et envoye-moi quelques images des que tu peux (ou puisses?). A plus--Chris.

    ReplyDelete